The toolkit for public places is a collection of tools for monitoring environmental quality and giving feedback directly at a public place. It consists of the Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Meter, Sensor Data Storage, Sense-It-Now app and CityNoise app with a dedicated noise sensor.
Kestrel® 4000 Pocket Weather Meter
Kestrel Pocket Weather Meter is a commercial sensors unit that can measure wind speed, temperature, relative humidity and pressure.
It is connected to a smartphone with Bluetooth to read the data stream.
The SensApp android and SensorLog can be used to read the data from the sensor and store the data on the CITI-SENSE platform.
Sensor Data Storage
To read data from the Kestrel sensor and upload the data to server for storage, this toolkit provides 3 different products:
- SensorLog, an android smartphone application for reading the Bluetooth stream from the sensor unit.
- SensApp Android, an android smartphone application that pushes the data read by SensorLog into the SensApp web services for storage and management.
- SensApp web services for storage and retrieval.
The client can find any referenced sensor contained in the Android host system and a predefined set of Bluetooth sensors.
The SensApp Android smartphone application provides a database shared with client applications on the android device. While the client applications can easily insert sensors and measures in the database, SensApp android maintains and uploads data to remote SensApp server instances.
SensApp web services is composed of a set of web services that enable retrieving and storing sensor data. SensApp has a web page for sensor data management.
SENSE-IT-NOW is a smartphone application developed for Android devices. It provides the following options:
- carry out online surveys
- collect user provided information about their personal perceptions of the environmental quality by taking a photo and mark it with “Pleasant” or “Unpleasant”
- show in real time the measurements from the Kestrel
- calculate thermal and acoustic comfort
- view levels of physical movement on a map
CityNoise is a smartphone application developed for android devices to detect noise in the user’s surroundings. It runs in the background but provides feedback to the SENSE-IT-NOW application when changes in the soundscape are detected.
Based on the user feedback of the source and the perception of the detected sounds and specific questions answered in the SENSE-IT-NOW App, CityNoise will calculate an acoustic index and provide these results to SENSE-IT-NOW.